Oral and maxillofacial radiology is the branch and specialty of dentistry concerned with the prescription, production, and interpretation of diagnostic images for the diagnosis and management of diseases and disorders of the craniofacial complex.
The NDSE in oral and maxillofacial radiology evaluates your knowledge and clinical competence in oral and maxillofacial radiology at the specialty level.
Format and Content
The NDSE in oral and maxillofacial radiology will be administered electronically in two three hour parts.
Part 1 consists of 12 cases to interpret. Part 2 will consist of multiple-choice, short-answer and essay type questions,
The images will be presented in the following formats:
- CBCT volumes with Anatomage Invivo Dental Viewer
- CBCT and MDCT MPA movie files.
- PowerPoint files
- JPEG files
For each of the 12 cases, you will be asked to:
- Identify the diagnostic image(s) provided, including image modality/ies and anatomical areas depicted. Please note that the entire case is the subject of the report — not the individual images.
- Describe the pertinent findings on the imaging examination(s) in the format of a radiology report.
- Provide a differential or definitive interpretation of the abnormality/ies.
- Give the etiology/pathology/cause of disease/disorder.
- Comment on the management of the case (where applicable, additional imaging, biopsy, bloodwork, or other diagnostic tests that may be indicated to provide further information for patient management).
Canadian oral and maxillofacial radiologists are required to have broad knowledge and skills in five domains. The blueprint found in the NDSE Protocol presents the domains and the approximate percentage of the examination covered by each domain.
Software and Sample Files
During the examination, you will be provided with a laptop on which you will find the software and case files for Part 1.
In preparation for the examination you will be provided access to a series of practice files that can be loaded using Invivo Dental Viewer. A link to the sample files will be sent to you once you have applied and identified oral and maxillofacial radiology as your specialty.
Anatomage Invivo Dental Viewer
You can download Dental Viewer from https://www.anatomage.com/.