To participate in the Assessment of Clinical Skills (ACS), you must have passed the Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge (AFK).
Log on to your online profile to register for an assessment.
Format and Content
The ACS is a two-day assessment during which you perform twelve (12) dental procedures on simulated patients (manikins) in a clinical setting.
ACS Protocol and Orientation
The Assessment of Clinical Skills (ACS) Protocol contains important information regarding the ACS. This document should be read carefully. In the event of any inconsistencies between documents or errors in translation between the English and French versions, the information found in the English ACS Protocol will prevail.
Download the 2020 ACS Protocol in PDF format. Updated Sept 4, 2020
The NDEB has created a short orientation video for the ACS. This video should be watched by any participant registered to take the ACS.
Each ACS location may have different handpiece connections. The handpiece connections document provides images and descriptions of the handpiece connections at Canadian Faculties of Dentistry.
The ACS is administered at Faculties of Dentistry in Canada and in New Zealand. Although the clinics use standard dental equipment, each of the dental clinics are different and may use slightly different equipment.
The NDEB is aware that some Faculties of Dentistry offer clinic orientation sessions through their Continuing Education Departments. You must contact the Faculties directly to inquire if they are offering an orientation session. Contact information can be found under the Reference Material and Resources section. The NDEB does not endorse or recommend any program for the purpose of preparing participants for NDEB examinations or assessments.
The restorative and endodontic requirements are graded using the four point grading system illustrated in the ACS Protocol.
You can take the ACS a maximum of three times.
Viewing ACS Typodonts
Effective August 10, 2020
If you have failed the Assessment of Clinical Skills (ACS), you are eligible to view your typodonts in person. Typodont viewings are optional and offer you the chance to review your work in preparation for your appeals submission. You are not required to view your typodonts to submit an ACS appeal.
The rules below are introduced because of Covid-19 and supersede any contrary or previously published policies.
- For the safety of examinees and staff, typodont viewings for the December 2019 ACS will take place September 1-3 and September 29 – October 1, 2020.
- Only one appointment per participant is allowed.
- Appointment times are 45 minutes.
- You can only schedule a typodont viewing if you have failed the December 2019ACS. If you came to view your typodonts for the December 2020 ACS earlier this year you cannot book another appointment.
- Only one person is permitted to enter the viewing room. No family member or guests, including children, are permitted in the screening area or viewing room.
- If you are unable to come to Ottawa to view your typodonts, you may send one representative in your place. Your representative cannot be a current NDEB Equivalency Process participant.
- If there is a change in the name of your representative, you must notify the NDEB by email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 24, 2020 for appointments schedule between September 1-3 and no later then September 14, 2020 for appointments scheduled between September 29 – October 1.
- Government issued photo identification must be presented at check in. The name appearing on the identification must match our records.
- You must arrive no earlier than 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time. Late arrivals will not be permitted due to strict health and safety procedures.
- The typodont viewing fee is non-refundable.
How to Schedule a Typodont Viewing
Typodont viewings will take place at the Delta Hotel in Ottawa.
Appointments are booked on a first come first served basis. A non-refundable typodont viewing fee of $100.00CAD will be charged for each booking.
When booking, you must use the email address provided on your NDEB online profile and include your NDEB ID number.
Your booking(s) will be cancelled and no refund will be given if:
- an invalid NDEB ID number is entered in the online scheduler.
- the name of a current Equivalency Process participant is appointed as a representative.
- multiple appointments are made.
Prior to your appointment
Prior to your appointment you will receive an email providing you with an electronic copy of the following documents:
- Participant Identification Card
- Time Delay Forms
- Invigilator Notes
- Infection Control Grading Form
- Record of Procedure Requirement
- Dental Dam Grading Form
- Notification Cards
- Photographs taken at the evaluation session, if applicable
- Typodont Viewing Form
You or your representative must complete, sign, and return a Typodont Viewing Form, confirming that you have read and understand the NDEB policies prior to being permitted to view your typodonts.
During your appointment
You must arrive no earlier then 10 minutes before your scheduled time. You must wear a mask at all times. You must complete and pass a verbal COVID-19 Screening survey prior to being permitted to enter the room. You will then be asked to follow the guided arrows to the designated check in area. Hand sanitizer will be accessible in the viewing room.
Appointments are 45 minutes. When your appointment time is over, you must remain seated until instructed to leave. If you wish to leave early, notify staff by raising your hand.
You are not permitted any personal belongings except for items listed below. There will not be a secure area to leave personal belongings; therefore, we recommend you do not to bring anything additional with you. You will not be permitted to bring suitcases/ large bags into the room.
You are permitted to bring:
- a copy of your results.
- a copy of the ACS criteria.
- a note pad, and pen/pencil.
- your government issued photo identification.
- loops with the light removed.
- one small personal bag, such as a handbag or small backpack.
- medical or cloth mask.
You will be provided with:
- one plastic perioprobe.
- one light.
You are not permitted to:
- take photographs.
- take videos/film.
- remove teeth from the typodonts.
- have metal instruments.
- take impressions.
- use dental floss.
- use articulating paper.
- use putty.
- rub or blow on the typodonts.
- use sandpaper (your hands will be checked before the viewing starts).
- have food or drink in the viewing room.
Staff will not respond to ACS related questions.
The NDEB reserves the right to video record all typodont viewings.
If you leave the viewing room for any reason, you will not be permitted to re-entre.
Cancelling or Rescheduling Your Appointment
To cancel your appointment, go to the online scheduler. The fee for the typodont viewing is non-refundable.
If you want to reschedule your appointment, you must cancel your original appointment before you can select a new time. You will be charged the typodont viewing fee for each appointment.
For more information on the appeals process, visit the Appeals section of our website.